Network printing

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 23 13:45:44 UTC 2011

On 03/22/2011 11:02 PM, Rein wrote:
> Hi,
> <snip>
> But whatever I try I can't get XP (SP3) to print to Ubuntu 10.04
> It just can't find the printer.
> http://<hostname>:631/printers/<printername>  does not work
> Although http://<hostname>:631/printers comes up with the right printername.
> Can anyone help?
> Rein

I had better luck when I used the IP address of the CUPS
server . Here are my cheat notes that worked with the LTS
versions of Ubuntu. Hope it helps
          Linda
Windows Client Set Up

    *

      Click Start/Settings/Printers and Faxes.

    *

      Click "Add a Printer".

    *

      Click Next.

    *

      Select "Add a network printer ..." and click the Next
      button.

    *

      Select "Connect to a printer on the Internet..." and
      type in the URL for the print queue. It will look like
      http://server_IP:631/printers/PrinterName (the
      PrinterName is the same from the localhost:631 entry
      of your printer). Then click the Next button.

    *

      http://###.###.#.#:631/printers/hp_par_hp_Laserjet_1320_series
      <http://192.168.1.3:631/printers/hp_par/hp_Laserjet_1320_series>
      (printer name)

    *

      In the next windows select your printer model. have
      driver choose the one on CD
      English/Drivers/WindowsXP/1320.PS and install.

    *

      Click Finsh