using transmission torrent client behind a proxy

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 18:52:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com> wrote:
> I should not be asking this question as it is a straight forward thing
> but the situation where I use my machine.
> I am having internet connection in an environment whose proxies I do not know.
> In firefox
> Edit->Preferences->Network->Connection-->Settings --->Use system Proxy
> settings option is there.
> So I have not given any IP or port combination here and my Internet
> works very smoothly.
>
> Now here is a situation I wanted to download some Linux DVD's and I
> used Transmission
> since I have no proxy specified in Firefox so I thought it might
> work.Which did not happen.
> I checked
> Transmission-->Edit-->Preferences-->Proxy
>
> I have no clue as what value should I enter here.(Since the
> environment I mentioned has given me a direct Internet access.
> So if I want to use Transmission on port 80 (in above scenario)
> what should I be doing?
>
> Since Firefox uses System Proxy settings and in one day I am at
> different places(different organizations)
>  each place has a different network environment but I have internet
> working each time (without any change to any Firefox settings)
> so if I want to use Transmission also simultaneousy (in a situation
> where I am not aware of proxy or proxy does not exist but rest ports
> are blocked)
> then what should I be doing?

Updating an old thread
apart from using ssh as socks proxy which will pass on the traffic
encrypted over the tunnel
here are a couple of programs that can be used in this situation
http://proxychains.sourceforge.net/
http://tsocks.sourceforge.net/about.php
http://transocks.sourceforge.net/
should help some one in similar situation.