Will DDR3 memory freeze 10.04?

Pete psmouty at live.com
Sat Mar 19 12:54:25 UTC 2011

On 16/03/11 21:36, Preston Hagar wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM, scar<scar at drigon.com>  wrote:
>> Trying desperately to figure out why a brand-new system running 10.04
>> 64-bit keeps freezing after 3-5 days uptime.  power supply tests good,
>> memtest reports no errors after going through 1 pass, i re-greased the
>> cpu, fans running fine, tried running the system w/o graphics card
>> completely....
>>
>> Is it the DDR3 memory?  I understand ubuntu doesn't support that speed
>> yet.  Or maybe some other new technology that ubuntu is tripping over?
>> it's an ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 motherboard.
>>

> When you say freezing, what exactly do you mean?  Does it freeze and
> never come back?  Have you tried pinging or ssh into the machine from
> another machine while it is frozen?
>
> My current machine is a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T with 16 GB of DDR3 1333
> RAM and a GeForce 9500 GT video card with 512 MB onboard memory.  I am
> running 64-bit Lucid.   Everything, as far as I can tell, seems to run
> at "full speed".  I use the binary NVIDIA video drivers from nvidia's
> website to run a dual monitor setup.  When I first set it up, I ran
> into an occasional bug where, when crossing my mouse from one screen
> to the other, it would cause the xorg cpu usage to shoot to 100% and
> "freeze" the GUI.  Sometimes I could press ALT-F2 and get a console,
> but most of the time I had to ssh in from another machine.  I could
> then kill xorg and start it back up and everything would work fine.
> It turns out in the combination of nvidia driver and xorg versions I
> had, there was a bug where if the right monitor was your primary and
> the left monitor was your secondary and you moved the mouse from the
> right to the left, it would cause the signed int they were using to
> track the x coordinate of the mouse to "loop around" into negatives,
> causing x to go crazy.  The solution at the time was to just make the
> left monitor the primary and it didn't happen any more.  I think they
> may have fixed that bug in more recent updates.
>
> My point though is that even with all of the crazy computing power, a
> bug in xorg still managed to more or less freeze my system.  All my
> hardware is good and since I made my left monitor the primary and
> updated my NVIDIA drivers, I haven't had any lockups.
>
> I would suggest installing/turning on openssh-server and trying to ssh
> into the box next time it locks up.  If you can, you can do a top or
> htop to try to figure out what is taking 100% of the cpu(s) and
> locking it up.  It may be that it isn't truly frozen, but a bug in a
> program is taking up so many resources that even keyboard input isn't
> getting to the computer.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Preston

Hi,
I am by no means an expert but a similar thing happened to me a while
back, and it turned out to be the first signs of my motherboard deciding
to die! (which it did fully about a month later!)
All of my investigation turned up nothing, but having replaced the mobo
all has been well since so I put it down to that.

Just my two pence (cents.....etc)

Good luck

Pete