PLEASE help me (pleading) Wireless connection problems

Nathan Bahn nathan.bahn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:29:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com>wrote:

> On 03/16/2011 02:58 PM, ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>
>> Message: 7 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:55:26 -0700 From: Smoot Carl-Mitchell
>> <smoot at tic.com> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general
>> discussions"
>> <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: Re: PLEASE help me (pleading)
>> Wireless
>> connection problems Message-ID: <1300305326.2363.415.camel at smoot>
>> text/plain; charset="UTF-8" On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 14:06 -0500, Jay Ridgley

>>> iwconfig
>>>
>> Check the routing tables with
>>

>> netstat -rn
>>
>> Sometimes that can give you a hint as to the problem.  Also take DNS out
>> of the picture by pinging your gateway address and a well known network
>> address which responds to pings.   I use www.google.com  -
>> 74.125.224.177.
>>

> Initially both route and netstat -rn are OK and match what I am seeing on
> the old system.
>
> I as a rule ping yahoo.com, it also works.
>
> After the failure neither my gateway address nor yahoo.com are reachable,
> from the laptop, wired still works fine. Before that they both work either
> wired or wireless!
>
> Regards,
> Jay
>
> BTW -- SXSW is in FULL swing in Austin.
>

>  Message: 8
>> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:58:48 -0400
>> From: Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn at gmail.com>
>> To: "Ubuntu user technical support,     not for general discussions"
>>
>>        <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>> Subject: Re: PLEASE help me (pleading) Wireless connection problems
>>

> I am running 10.04.2 LTS on the new box and 08.04 LTS on the old one.
>
> Sorry Nathen...
>

> --
>

> Jay Ridgley
> jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
> Registered Linux User ID - 9115
> Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

J.R.--

I hesitate to suggest this because I have no idea if this will even work;
BUUUT..... seeing as how that no one else has responded as of yet, I will
offer this (untested) advice:

Assuming that your G.U.I. only has NetworkManager enabled -- and NOT Wicd --
then I suggest enabling Wicd (either through an internet download or through
an upload from the live disk -- although I´m not quite certain that the
latter is even possible.....)

Whatever you do -- or don´t do -- I wish you the best of luck!

--N.B.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html &
http://www.libreoffice.org/ (Nathan Bahn)