Etthernet id and DHCP Leases question

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sun Mar 13 13:42:21 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 05:44:33AM -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
> I thought I had everything fixed but I have run into another small problem.
> Currently running 10.4.1 LTS. I am  going to upgrade to 10.4.2 LTS
> shortly, since all my other systems are running that version.
>
> The lease granted to a wireless connection by the wireless access
> point on my local network expires and is not renewed.

Weird.  Anything from dhcp-client in your system logs?

> I can reset
> the access point and everything is OK again, for a while... What is
> the absolute maximum value for default-lease-time?
>
> I noticed in the log that when eth4 drops out there is an entry:
>
> Mar 12 22:43:33 mateo kernel: [   16.453575] udev: renamed network
> interface eth2 to eth4
>
> Can I permanently rename the device eth4 to eth2?

Yes: edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to do that and
reboot.

> I also have eth3,
> I would like to do the same for it (eth3 to eth1). Could this be
> part of the problem?

I find that hard to imagine.  The names should be changed before your
machine starts asking for DHCP leases.

> This came about because when I initially added the ethernet cards I
> had removed them from an old system. With all the swapping back an
> forth trying to get my new system up I decided to just get a couple
> of new cards. They installed as eth3 and eth4 even though I had
> removed the old ones.

That's expected.

Marius Gedminas
--
The death rate on Earth is: .... (computing) .... One per person.