Etthernet id and DHCP Leases question

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 13 10:44:33 UTC 2011

Folks,

I thought I had everything fixed but I have run into another small problem.
Currently running 10.4.1 LTS. I am  going to upgrade to 10.4.2 LTS shortly,
since all my other systems are running that version.

The lease granted to a wireless connection by the wireless access point on my
local network expires and is not renewed. I can reset the access point and
everything is OK again, for a while... What is the absolute maximum value for
default-lease-time?

I noticed in the log that when eth4 drops out there is an entry:

Mar 12 22:43:33 mateo kernel: [   16.453575] udev: renamed network interface
eth2 to eth4

Can I permanently rename the device eth4 to eth2? I also have eth3, I would like
to do the same for it (eth3 to eth1). Could this be part of the problem?

This came about because when I initially added the ethernet cards I had removed
them from an old system. With all the swapping back an forth trying to get my
new system up I decided to just get a couple of new cards. They installed as
eth3 and eth4 even though I had removed the old ones.

--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115