Edit PDF in OO-Draw

John D Lamb J.D.Lamb at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 12 08:18:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 09:39 -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
> I have a PDF that is intended to be printed out, blanks filled in and
> mailed in.  I would like to modify the document to add fillable fields.
> With a new odf document in Writer, I am able to do this.

There are several things you could try.

1. You could use pdf2ps followed by ps2eps to convert the pdf file to an
eps file readable by Writer. This will work but the quality may not be
good.

2. You could use gimp to convert the pdf file to a png image, which
Writer can read. You’ll need a resolution of at least 300 pixels/inch
(600 is better). Insert the png file in Writer, set its wrap to in
background and set to original size. Main drawback of this method is the
size of the file.

3. You could just read the original PDF in Draw and add form controls
over the top. I don’t know if this works for your purpose.

4. You could recreate the whole document the way you want it in Writer.
This may be the quickest way.

--
JDL