A Moving to Linux Question

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 00:27:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 18:50 -0500, Doug wrote:

> Actually, because of the proselytes in the Linux world, there is
> not as much pay-for software as there might otherwise be. At
> least, AFAIK.  If I have to choose between free or pay, for the
> same capability, I'll certainly take free, but if I have to choose
> between not very good or non-existent and pay, I'll certainly
> pay.  (Putting on my asbestos jumper.)

That was the Ray Noorda answer, back when he created Caldera. We had
licensed software included, where there was no equivalent free solution.
And we paid a hundred or so bucks for an install CD, when Red Hat "Boxed
Edition" was $29. The trick was to make Linux ready for "Enterprise" and
the other incentive was to book MS in the hindside while doing so. Now,
Netscape has begat Mozilla (towards open-source), Apache got much more
user friendly, Wine really got busy when Wabi would boot Windows3.1
directly in your Linux session, and graphical front-ends to things like
the install process have become standard. I can usually meet all of my
needs without straying very far from the repos. One thing is for sure,
Linux is all about patience! Ric

Linux user# 44256