A Moving to Linux Question

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Mar 3 23:50:13 UTC 2011

On 03/03/2011 05:25 PM, rikona wrote:
> Hello Amichai,
>
> Thursday, March 3, 2011, 1:04:13 PM, Amichai wrote:
>
> AR>  I'd like to find the fastest way to verify a computer running Windows is
> AR>  ready to move to Linux. Not hardware-wise only, software-wise to.
>
> AR>  I would like to have a Windows app that can run from a USB Stick (without
> AR>  the need to install it) that will scan the installed hardware and software
> AR>  and give a table as a result that lists the Windows app on one side and the
> AR>  parallel Linux app on the other. If no match was found - a link to a site to
> AR>  report the app to a community database that updates the alternatives, or
> AR>  something along those lines.
>
> AR>  Any app like that exists?
>
> No app that I know of, but some time ago when I was checking out
> equivalent apps for a school, I found a web site listing equivalent or
> near-equivalent apps. It was a rather complete list covering many
> different categories, and was VERY useful. And, no, I don't remember
> the site. :-(( Worth a good search, though, if it is still around.

As someone else mentioned, the easiest way to find out if the OS
will run is to try one of the live boot disks--almost all the present
Linux distros have them.

As to software, I too have seen the list mentioned, and I don't
remember what it was called, but Google should find it fairly easily.
One thing to bear in mind:  Debian and Ubuntu, particularly Debian,
are really gung-ho about not using anything you have to pay for, and
Deb tries to keep you from even using something developed by a
commercial firm, altho I think they've thrown in the towel on
NVidia drivers.  If you want a true comparison, you must include
non-free software.  Distros like MINT and Zorin are much more
open-minded.

Actually, because of the proselytes in the Linux world, there is
not as much pay-for software as there might otherwise be. At
least, AFAIK.  If I have to choose between free or pay, for the
same capability, I'll certainly take free, but if I have to choose
between not very good or non-existent and pay, I'll certainly
pay.  (Putting on my asbestos jumper.)

--doug