Recent netbooks with Solid State Drives?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Mar 2 15:43:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 10:46:50PM -0600, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 03/01/2011 12:15 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
> >I'm about to spend months traveling and looking for a
> >netbook/laptop to use for Google Apps, uploading photos, minor
> >photo editing (e.g. reduce photo size before sending over slow
> >link), and pretty good on batteries and light weight.
> >
> >There's a good list here:
> >https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks
> >
> >That's a long list to work through, so does anyone here have
> >recent experience with any of those listed that can share their
> >opinions?
>
> I've got an Asus EeePC 900 and I love it.

I wouldn't call an EeePC 900 "recent".

I've got an EeePC 900 and the SSDs it came with (4 GB + 16 GB) were very
disappointing.  As in: terribly slow.  And unreliable: one died after a
year of use (replaced under warranty), the other died after two years
and a bit (just out of warranty).  Firefox was unbearable on it
(remember the sqlite fsync issues on ext3?).  Chromium is fine.

The EeePC itself is still in use as a home media PC, driving a 1080p TV
with no problem (Compiz is amazing).  Except it can't play 720p or
better movies due to insufficient CPU power (900 MHz Celeron).

Marius Gedminas
--
Many people enjoy Perl, many enjoy Python, some enjoy /bin/tcsh.  The latter
population should however, needless to say, be put into working camps.