video card recommendation ?

Bill Walton bwalton.im at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 12:29:27 UTC 2011

I'm converting a Dell workstation from Windows to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
The box currently has a PNY video card with 2 hdmi outputs.  Ubuntu
doesn't recognize it as usable.  I was able to install using the Live
CD, selecting an option that said something like 'run in low
resolution once' but upon completion of the install I'm getting a 'no
signal' message on the monitor when I try to boot the system.  I'm
guessing that I need to replace the video card with one that Ubuntu
recognizes.  If possible, I'd be very happy to find out that there's
something I can do to continue using the PNY card.  Anyone got helpful
info?  If not, is there a list somewhere to guide my purchase of a new
card?

TIA,
Bill