Firefox Alternative

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Mon Jun 27 12:50:17 UTC 2011

Hi!

On 27/06/2011 13:06, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Vic Main wrote:
>>>
>>> Nah, Opera's problem is a different one - it's non-free.
>>>
>> Opera is a decent browser and fast. I've yet to pay for it, I've got it
>> on all my computers Windows and Ubuntu and don't even know how you'd
>> "pay" if it's not free.
>
> Free-as-in-freedom - it's not got a permissive enough license to get
> into the Ubuntu default install and hence can't be used to displace
> Firefox there.

Skype isn't "free-as-in-freedom". Yet it's displaced just about anything
I can think of in terms of voip/videooip application... and it did that
despite the fact that the default shipping application on Windows (MSN
Messenger) did all that... Hence Microsoft now acquiring Skype, methinks.

So not a real argument...

You may not like its non redistributability, but Opera has its
followers, it's very present in the embedded market. In fact, every
Nintendo DSi, DSiXL and 3DS has it. That's already a big number of
devices. Then almost every cell phone that runs Java but doesn't have
enough RAM to load proper web pages in the default browser benefits from
Opera which is very useful there.

Opera is a VERY nice browser. Just one with a different model. Heck,
even Google Chrome (not Chromium) is not open source and redistributable
completely. Yet it is nicely on its way to take good market share
(granted, Google is much bigger than Opera will ever be, in terms of
company).

Gilles.

Gilles