cannot use btrfs subvolumes with alternate installer

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Thu Jun 23 15:47:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, June 23, 2011 14:00, Tom H wrote:

>> In fact it appears as if the install totally ignores my subvolumes and
>> creates 2 new subvolumes for / and /home. This may very well be desired
>> behavior for new installations, but I would prefer if I could tell the
>> installer which subvolumes it should use.
>
> Did you originally set up the subvolumes directly through the
> installer? I've tried, unsuccessfully, to replicate your
> "/dev/sda2/root" and "/dev/sda2/home".

Meh. I forgot about it when I came home yesterday.

I originally set up the subvolumes through a Debian Live usb. No Ubuntus
were harmed in the making these subvolumes.

It's not litterally /dev/sda2/root. It was something like

# create partition and subvolumes
mkfs.btrfs /dev/sda2
mkdir -p /mnt/btrfs
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/btrfs
btrfs subvolume create /mnt/root
btrfs subvolume create /mnt/home

# copy old /home to btrfs home subvolume
mkdir -p /mnt/ext4
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/ext4
rsync -av /mnt/ext4/home/ /mnt/home
umount /dev/sdb1