"Boot-up" screen resolution

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:03:21 UTC 2011

On 20 June 2011 08:40, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> My laptop that now works nicely with the screen and DVDs still has a
> really annoying "feature" - it insists on coming up at 1920x1200
> screen resolution until I log in, whereupon it changes to my setting
> (1920x1080) and the screen noise goes away.
>
> Is there a way to set the "boot-up" resolution to the correct value?
>
> There isn't such a thing in the boot PROM, and I haven't seen any
> setting like that in the NVidia X configurator.

You can set the resolution of the bootup screen using a "vga=xxx"
parameter in the GRUB config file.

You can see the list here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers

However, this doesn't support widescreen modes such as yours.

You could use 1280×1024 or something, which will  at least fit.

You can try them out, without making a permanent change, as documented here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

You *must* do this. Set an invalid mode in GRUB & you can render the
machine unbootable. BTDT.

If you want to make it permanent, there is guidance here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Let me know if you need more specific help.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com