[OT] why isn't bikeshed good enough as a sounder replacement?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 22:57:06 UTC 2011

     I. On Sun, 2011-06-19 at 08:16 +1000, ruscook wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 15:17 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 11:45 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > > On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 09:38:26AM -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > >
> > >          .........snip.........

> > > You may not remember, but Mark the Magnificent has already said "this is
> > > not a democracy". You're also forgetting about the Golden Rule:
> > >
> > > He who has the gold makes the rules
> >
> > To a point, you are 100% correct. It is a meritocracy. But, one who has
> > the gold may not be able to exchange it for a carrot, if the farmer will
> > not accept it, since he can't eat it. So, there is a certain amount of
> > good will exchange that we value the same currency, that being the
> > Ubuntu distribution.
> Nice point. I can't understand why people can't get over this. This is
> open source and the internet.
>
> That means, if you don't like how it's being run - start your own
> forum and or distro - that is freedom. We each have it.
>
> Whinging because someone else won't pay for it, is leeching.

Well, Wiz's point was that there was some sort of consensus reached,
that didn't include us. Running an one additional mail list on Ubuntu
servers doesn't exactly cost much. Let me know who to write the check
out to, for 5 cents worth of electricity a month, and I'll write it just
so there is no monetary issue at stake. <grins>

I just checked out joining the official membership roster, and I won't
be getting the decoder ring, as I cannot figure out how to even apply,
when it comes to the Code of Conduct that you're supposed to
"electronically verify". WTF, is that? It ain't point and click, which
is strange when we have Unity, that is supposed to think, and anticipate
your desktop needs, for you. I got stumped and in my past life I dealt
with GSA procurement. (You got me to admit my sins. :) )

So, his point that he made was referring to this: '''When we disagree,
we consult others.''' Disagreements, both social and technical, happen
all the time and the Ubuntu community is no exception. It is important
that we resolve disagreements and differing views constructively and
with the help of the community and community processes." ...that was his
issue, as I see it. For some, it seems that failed. Me, I never used
sounder, so it was no personal loss to me. But, I can see how others
might have felt the loss keenly, and feel slighted, if they did. I think
we both agree it is now a dead parrot issue. But the fact remains that
the resolving of it, and issues like it, is in need of consideration and
an update.

My two beat-up cents, Ric

Linux user# 44256