Simple internal email via Evolution

Matt Johnson johnsonmlw at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 12:17:39 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

From: Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com>
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Thursday, 16 June 2011, 11:46
Subject: Re: Simple internal email via Evolution

>if all clients use the same server, the easiest should be (on the ltsp
>server)
>sudo apt-get install postfix
>
>then just pick "local delivery only" at the question the package
>asks ...
>
>it will then just automatically deliver local mail between all your ltsp
>users on that server.
>
>in evolution you just point the user setup to localhost for sending
>(smtp) and local maildir for recieving.

Oli,

Thanks. This is exactly what I needed and it works. Thanks for understanding that it's local mail only needed as through ltsp the users are effectively on the same (one) system.

I've simply installed and configured postfix for local delivery as you suggested.

Evolution works a treat set to 'Local Delivery' and pointing the path to /var/mail/username and sends mail using 'sendmail' option. Great.

Only issue at them moment is pointing Evolution to a /var/mail/username for the first time as the file doesn't exist yet. I suspect I can just mail all the users from a 'teacher' account to have a file created before the first lesson. Although, if mail software isn't fussy about who acutally owns the mail file, I could probably issue a bash command to 'touch' the file for every user. I'll investigate.

I thank you.

--
Matt