Simple internal email via Evolution

franz.reitinger franz.reitinger at htl-wels.at
Thu Jun 16 11:24:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 01:10:35 -0700 (PDT), Matt Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've set up Ubuntu 10.04 LTS across 64 workstations in a school via
> ltsp and have Evolution installed as it comes out of the box.
>
> We want to begin a teaching unit with some junior children (aged 7 /
> 8) and use email between them internally. We do not need (or want)
> any
> 'real' external email in or out. Ideally, to keep this simple to
> setup, Johny needs to be able to email Jenny or any other user in
> his/her class just with 'jenny' as the address.
>
> I would have thought that running on ltsp makes this even easier, as
> I would think we're probably talking about keeping all the mail on
> just the server - local mail?
>
> I don't know where to start. I doubt I'll need postfix or exim or
> equivalent? Do users automatically get a mail box somewhere on the
> system for local mail or is there a nifty shell command I can use to
> set this up for all users? I don't know if this would be 'directory'
> or a 'spool' etc. Evolution offers these options in the wizard.
>
> I'm pretty sure this can stay really simple. I guess we don't have to
> use Evolution but it looks exactly what the teachers want.
>
> Any pointers gratefully received.
>
> --
> Matt

Recently I've set up an exim4 based mailing system  in a similar
environment. My basic components are:

* virtualized ubuntu 10.04
* exim4 as smtp
* dovecot (1.x) for imap (Pop3 is also supported however we do not use
it.)
* ldap (eDirectory from Novell) for authorization
* mailgate (Avira)as virus scanner (We also have Windows based systems
using Outlook as mail client.)

The ubuntu system works as dedicated server and the mail users do not
have access; therefore I've set up the virtual user's (virtual hosting)
approach. This means that the mail server povides a directory containing
all the accounts. Exim4 & Dovecot are configured to use them.
To reduce the administrative activities exim4 delegates most of the
activities like delivery of mail, authorization etc. to dovecot.

Exim4 & dovecot are well documented

/franzR

/*
 * Mail checked by Avira virus scanner (mail.htl-wels.at).