Grub problems Lucid 10.04

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri Jun 10 08:44:29 UTC 2011

On 09/06/11 17:38, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Joep L. Blom<jlblom at neuroweave.nl>  wrote:

Tom & Goh Lip,
Thanks for the ractions.
> Is "/boot/grub/menu.lst" read-only?
>
> What are the values of the "lockold" and "howmany" variables in
> "/boot/grub/menu.lst"?

@Tom
menu.list has as permissions 644 (=rw for owner = root)
lockold = false (# lockold=false, I assume that is the default value)
howmany = all (# howmany=all I assume that is the default value)

@ Goh Lip
> But Joep, what's on sdb and sdc?
Sdb and sdc are external USB drives. The have no OS installed and the
mbr's are empty. See here:
sdb1:

     File system:       ext4
     Boot sector type:  -
     Boot sector info:
     Operating System:
     Boot files/dirs:

sdc1:

     File system:       ext3
     Boot sector type:  -
     Boot sector info:
     Operating System:
     Boot files/dirs:

I did the sudo grub-install /dev/sda from within 10.04 as that's my only
OS I'm running (exept an XP-guest running in VMware).

Again a peculiar thing:
I found the following file /var/lib/ucf/cache/:var:run:grub:menu.lst
and its content is the expected menu.lst (of course without the comment
lines.
I can of course paste those line in /boot/grub/menu.lst but that is not
the solution, only a hack around it, meaning that with the next kernel
update I have the same problem.
Joep