64-bit flash no longer produces sound

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 9 01:49:56 UTC 2011

On 09/06/11 11:19, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> noticed two flash updates during the last couple of days. I had my chrome open
> for several days, so am not sure when the symptom actually started, but after a
> reboot, flash videos no longer produce sound. This can be also verified by
> indicator-sound-service, which says "No application is playing or recording
> audio" when a flash video is being played.
>
> Sound works, though, which I verified with both spotify and rhythmbox.
>
> Besides chrome failing to play audio, so do both firefox and opera.
>
> The system is a Natty (11.04) 64-bit vanilla Ubuntu plus Ubuntu Studio packages
> installed on top.
>
> Does anyone else have these problems? Or did I accidentally configure my system
> broken, in a manner I can't even comprehend? :)

Yesterday I installed openSUSE with GNOME 3. I have a TV card and an
HDMI monitor and use both to watch digital TV; therefore the first
priority I always have is to get the sound going to be able to watch TV.
Done - all working fine!

Then I went further and put in a DVD to watch. No sound - lots of
naughty-type action but no sound :-( .

All boiled down to the difference in having the audio and video settings
not properly set.

Happened to me a while back: some upgrades reset the volume of the
channels to zero.

Go into your settings (alsamixer or alsamixergui) and while Firefox is
using flash to play some file on YouTube, say, fiddle with the channel
settings and see which one(s) have been reset.

BC

--
To YOU I am an Atheist; to God I am the Loyal Opposition.