how to remove bind?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 18:16:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Chuck Peters <cp at ccil.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I intend to use 9.8 from source, I removed anything that had
>> > bind/host/in it
>> > that was related (I am 30 yr veteran of unix so not a newbie, but i am
>> > not
>> > impressed with how ubuntu breaks things up into million tiny packages
>> > all dependant upon critical things.
>>
>> You are probably better off using, or rebuilding, 9.8 packages in order to
>> meet
>> all the other package dependencies.  Mr Hauke Lampe has built them...
>> https://launchpad.net/~hauke/+archive/bind9
>>
>> If you don't trust this third party repository, you can grab his
>> source packages,
>> inspect them, and rebuild them.
>
> This is all very odd to me.
>
> I just moved my home "server" from Gentoo to Ubuntu 11.04 because it takes
> so much time and effort to maintain and compile all those little bitty (and some
> huge) packages.
>
> The server uses bind.  My laptops (Lucid 10.04) do not, but they do have
> bind9-host for DNS queries.  There must be something more to the story of
> what you were uninstalling.

I'd certainly agree that Gentoo's more work to administer than Ubuntu!
But Debian - and therefore Ubuntu - does tend to break upstream
packages into two (nfs comes to mind but there are others) but I don't
think that this is the problem here.

It's just a question of dependencies; for example, strongswan is
removed because it depends on strongswan-ikev1 and strongswan-ikev2,
both of which depend on bind9-host.