how to remove bind?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:36:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Chuck Peters <cp at ccil.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > I intend to use 9.8 from source, I removed anything that had bind/host/in
> it
> > that was related (I am 30 yr veteran of unix so not a newbie, but i am
> not
> > impressed with how ubuntu breaks things up into million tiny packages
> > all dependant upon critical things.
>
> You are probably better off using, or rebuilding, 9.8 packages in order to
> meet
> all the other package dependencies.  Mr Hauke Lampe has built them...
> https://launchpad.net/~hauke/+archive/bind9<https://launchpad.net/%7Ehauke/+archive/bind9>
>
> If you don't trust this third party repository, you can grab his
> source packages,
> inspect them, and rebuild them.
>
> This is all very odd to me.

I just moved my home "server" from Gentoo to Ubuntu 11.04 because it takes
so much
time and effort to maintain and compile all those little bitty (and some
huge) packages.

The server uses bind.  My laptops (Lucid 10.04) do not, but they do have
bind9-host for
DNS queries.  There must be something more to the story of what you were
uninstalling.
I do not use package-provided or any other trickery -- it's all just update
manager and
synaptic for me.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD