Preinstall Procedure - Moving to 11.04?

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Thu Jun 2 11:51:25 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I have a Desktop and an Asus netbook, both running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

I always sticked to the LTS versions, because I like the stability. I was
looking at Ubuntu's web site and followed this list and I am trying to
decide if I should move to 111.04 or wait for the next LTS...

Now, before you all jump at me - this is not my main question. I know there
isn't a straight answer for this question. There are as many opinions out
there as there are people subscribed to this list....

I played around too much with the 10.04 and I have to re-install. I plan to
try the new release on my netbook as a live "cd" (via USB) but I have a few
questions before re-installing (be it 10.04 or 11.04):

1. I have an encrypted /home partition - how do I gain access to it after
re-installing?
2. I'd like to encrypt another partition  the same way. How?
3. I'd like to create a list of all what is installed now, go over it,
remove what I don't want and use what's left to install after the initial
vanilla installation.

What's the simplest way?
Is it possible to create a script to do it?

Thanks!

Amichai.