UEFI and grub2

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Jul 31 13:38:45 UTC 2011

On 07/31/2011 09:28 PM, Hermann J. Beckers wrote:
> Would gparted offer me gpt
> partitions if I'm on UEFI?

Yes, of course.

> The welcome/boot screen of this HP Pavillion has
> menu entries similiar to "boot from UEFI devices/boot legacy devices"?

  Now this, of course I cannot know. Please check out with the
manufacturer if the disk is indeed on gpt and the computer is really UEFI.

> And why does the mentioned windows program easybcd has all options greyed out?
> As it is stated on their website, it doesn't work with (u)efi yet.

I used easybcd (on someone's computer who doesn't want grub) and it is
not bad to restore windows boot (rather than using fixboot/fixmbr for
which I have no windows disks) but there will always be a lag before
easybcd catch up, like on grub2 and now on uefi boots. So if the options
are greyed out, and the website states so, it doesn't work yet.

Regards - Goh Lip