Xorg.conf problem

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 07:19:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 18:54 -0500, MirJafar Ali wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, I am using Nvidia card. Presently there is no xorg.conf file in
> the /etc/X11 and it seems that
> nvidia-xconfig requires that file to be present. There just to give a
> try, I created one empty file
> xorg.conf in that directory, but it seems that the nvidia-xconfig
> needs at least one Device, which
> I don't know what to put.

Crank up Hardware Drivers (jockey) and make sure that your nVidia
drivers are installed and in use. Then go through the settings with the
nVidia X Server Settings tool, select your monitor resolution, etc, and
then, under the X Server Display Configuration tab, you will see "Save
to X Configuration File" in the lower right corner. Click on that, and
select the default "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and check "Merge with existing
file". It should ask for your passwd and then save it for you. Piece O
cake! Then log out of your session and back in again. Enjoy! Ric

Linux user# 44256