how to get rid of the request of typing in password

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Jul 23 23:11:37 UTC 2011

On 07/23/2011 06:55 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

> While it doesn't keep someone determined to get into your machine, if
> does slow them down quite a bit. If your unpassworded user is also the
> super primary user, then anyone can su root and have a field day, which
> potentially could bite someone else when your machine performs someone
> else's stupid pet tricks. Using a really strong password shows that the
> user knows where his towel is. :) Ric

I haven't been following this thread closely, but I *think* it was
started by
someone with a machine at home and nobody else using it.  If that's the case
--as it is with me (I live alone)--then of what use is a password?  (I
*do* use a
simple password, not a dictionary word, but only because the various
os's request that I put one in when I loaded them.  If I am mistaken about
the origin of the thread, then I apologize--mea culpa!

--doug