how to get rid of the request of typing in password

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 24 02:47:32 UTC 2011

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:11:37 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> didst polemicize thusly:

> On 07/23/2011 06:55 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> >
> > While it doesn't keep someone determined to get into your machine,
> > if does slow them down quite a bit. If your unpassworded user is
> > also the super primary user, then anyone can su root and have a
> > field day, which potentially could bite someone else when your
> > machine performs someone else's stupid pet tricks. Using a really
> > strong password shows that the user knows where his towel is. :) Ric
> >
> I haven't been following this thread closely, but I *think* it was
> started by
> someone with a machine at home and nobody else using it.  If that's
> the case --as it is with me (I live alone)--then of what use is a
> password?  (I *do* use a
> simple password, not a dictionary word, but only because the various
> os's request that I put one in when I loaded them.  If I am mistaken
> about the origin of the thread, then I apologize--mea culpa!
>
> --doug

If you are the first user of a Ubuntu system then you are the
administrator.  With no password for the administrator user you are no
safer from online attacks than the typical Winduhs user.  All one need
do is ascertain your IP number <random hit-or-miss attacks will do)
and they are into your system with admin privileges.  They can then set
up any kind of botnet or malware they wish and you won't even know its
happening.
You will have been totally screwed without benefit of even a kiss,
much less dinner and a movie.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.