Sound server & mic problem on 10.04

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 05:16:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 03:22 +0500, TopBot . wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 14:11 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
>         > On 21 July 2011 13:57, TopBot . <topbot5 at googlemail.com>
>         wrote:
>         > > I just installed backtrack 5 (kde version - based on
>         Ubuntu 10.04 LTS)  for
>         > > some testing purposes, but its giving me problems as an
>         operating system.
>         > >
>         >
>         > Whilst Backtrack is derived from Ubuntu, it isn't Ubuntu.
>         You might
>         > get better support from a backtrack specific list or forum.
>

>         Install 10.4 Ubuntu, then install the KDE packages after.
>         Sound works.
>         Kubuntu 10.4 hosed sound (pulse) for me as it relies on some
>         other
>         scheme that bombed. Ric
>

> In my case the KDE is already installed (like kubuntu), there's no
> gnome. So is there anyway to fix it from here (and continue to use
> KDE) ? It seems like its not a backtrack specific problem. More of a
> trouble from KDE.

The last post on the Kubuntu list, before I bailed, was that they would
fix sound in 10.10. My beef was that the LTS version needed fixing. It
fell on deaf ears I fear. So, I clean installed Ubuntu 10.4, mostly out
of meanness, tested sound with Gnome, and found it worked flawlessly.
Then I installed KDE on top, sound continues to work to this day. Other
than that, that's all I can say. Well, I COULD add that after doing
this, I had to install the pavucontrol package... then crank up
alsamixer to adjust things, then fired up pavucontrol to set up 5.1
sound and keep it running to set individual applications to specific
sound hardware. Skype would be set to use my USB headphones. Every time
I run it, it switches to the headphones. Nifty... that is what pulse
does for me. Running Xine, it switches automatically to 5.1 audio,
unless it's late and I want to use the headphones to not bother others.
Click and it's switched. Way cool... :) Ric

Linux user# 44256