2.6.38 kernel not booting

Jens Müller blog at tessarakt.de
Sat Jul 16 20:32:08 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have problems with the 2.6.38 kernel which was installed with Ubuntu
11.04.

Only the 2.6.35 from before the release upgrade to 11.04 works.

The problem with (two versions of) 2.6.38 is: After I choose it from the
grub menu, there is only a blue screen (not a bluescreen, but the same
blue). Dunno why, or where it comes from. I'd have thought the grub
config including all the nice graphic config would be installed
everytime I run update-grub.

2.6.35 has a graphical display asking me for the password.

My /boot/grub/grub.cfg is at http://paste.ubuntu.com/645514/.

My /etc/default/grub is at http://paste.ubuntu.com/645517/

Maybe the initrd of 2.6.38 is somehow broken - like, if it cannot handle
LVM or RAID or crypt, it of course won't work. But I have no idea how to
debug this.

Any hints?

Jens