[Ping sktsee] Re: Agere WinModem 56k on Thinkpad - Working!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 13 23:58:00 UTC 2011

On 07/09/2011 12:59 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/09/2011 12:49 PM, sktsee wrote:
>> On 07/09/2011 01:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>> Now I need to sort out why I need to use 'gksu' and then on to figuring
>>> out hylafax or similar so that I can finally get rid of my old fax
>>> machine :-)
>>>

>> You might try adding you user account to the "dip" group and possibly
>
> I am in both dialup and dip:
> $ groups gg
> gg : gg adm disk lp dialout fax cdrom floppy tape audio dip video
> plugdev scanner netdev lpadmin powerdev admin fuse saned vboxusers
> sambashare
>

>> changing the martian modem daemon command line to use "--group=dip"
>> instead of "--group=dialout"
>
> That did it. gnome-ppp now works as standard user. Thanks!

I find that I need to 'sudo /etc/init.d/martian restart' before I can
use efax etc (permissions). In your 2008 instructions you indicated
using: $ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6
to update the links. Now that we're on 10.10+ I get this when attempting
that:

$ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6
update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword
'required-start'

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword
'required-stop'

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword 'default-stop'

update-rc.d: warning: martian stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
match LSB Default-Stop values (none)
update-rc.d: error: start|stop arguments not terminated by "."
usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove
       update-rc.d [-n] <basename> defaults [NN | SS KK]
       update-rc.d [-n] <basename> start|stop NN runlvl [runlvl] [...] .
       update-rc.d [-n] <basename> disable|enable [S|2|3|4|5]
		-n: not really
		-f: force

The disable|enable API is not stable and might change in the future.

Suggestions?