[Ping sktsee] Re: Agere WinModem 56k on Thinkpad - Working!

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 19:17:49 UTC 2011

On 07/13/2011 06:58 PM, NoOp wrote:

[snip]

> I find that I need to 'sudo /etc/init.d/martian restart' before I can
> use efax etc (permissions). In your 2008 instructions you indicated
> using: $ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6
> to update the links. Now that we're on 10.10+ I get this when attempting
> that:
>
> $ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6
> update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword
> 'required-start'
>
> update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword
> 'required-stop'
>
> update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword 'default-stop'
>
> update-rc.d: warning: martian stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
> match LSB Default-Stop values (none)
> update-rc.d: error: start|stop arguments not terminated by "."

The following line should read exactly:
$ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6 .

As far as the warnings go, it looks like update-rc.d tightened up on
sysv script requirements as I don't remember getting those messages back
then, Anyway, it's easy to remedy. All you need is a section like the
following under #!/bin/sh in /etc/init.d/martian

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:    martian_modem
# Required-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Should-Start:
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: martian modem driver
### END INIT INFO

By the time it starts everything that martian_modem requires to work
should already be running, so the Required/Should values are left blank.

Lastly, since you're having to restart the daemon in order to use efax,
there could be an issue with efax trying to lock /dev/ttySM0 but can't.
Check /var/lock and see if wvdial/gnome-ppp left a stale lock when it
closed.

--
sktsee