[OT] 20 years of linux

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Wed Jul 13 09:30:13 UTC 2011

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 03/07/11 04:55, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> > On 07/02/2011 01:39 PM, eschamp wrote:
> >> I don't think there's anything official, but it seems to be common
> >> courtesy to prepend OT to a message that is only peripherally
> >> related to Ubuntu. Anything linux would seem to qualify as this is
> >> the gmane.LINUX.ubuntu.user newsgroup.
> > No, this is the Ubuntu Users mailing list or Ubuntu-User mailing
> > list. How GMANE decides to archive the group has nothing to do with
> > this list and it does not dictate it's topics.
>
> Does anyone know what Bedwell is talking about?

Yeah, gmane.org is an news/mail gateway. It's a reasonably common way
of interacting with mailing lists such as this as if it were a news
group.

Gmane perhaps doesn't make it overly obvious that it doesn't host all
(any?) of the lists its mirroring, so I suspect that he's come across
this list by searching Gmane for a ubuntu users group, and has
therefore assumed that this is a gmane list rather than a
ubuntu/canonical one.

> Anyone know when Bedwell took over the role of being this list's
> moderator and can, therefore, pontificate on what may be written in
> this list and in what form?

I'm pretty sure you were involved in arguments to this effect on
-sounder, though arguing in the other direction - that it should be up
to the list members what constitutes 'correct' content for the list
rather than it being arbitrarily chosen by appointed moderators.

I might, however, be mis-remembering.

--
Avi