[OT] 20 years of linux

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 14 06:42:47 UTC 2011

On 13/07/11 19:24, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 13 July 2011 10:12, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>>> No, this is the Ubuntu Users mailing list or Ubuntu-User mailing list.
>>> How GMANE decides to archive the group has nothing to do with this list
>>> and it does not dictate it's topics.
>> Does anyone know what Bedwell is talking about?
>>
> Yes.
>
>> If so, could you please explain what he means in the above as a response to
>> what eschamp wrote?
>>
> GMANE is a 3rd party service which subscribes to lots of mailing lists
> (including this one) and gates the content to Usenet. Many people
> prefer to read their "lists" or "groups" via usenet so this is a
> valuable resource for them. There are other companies that do the same
> thing, Nabble being one such example. However the primary source for
> this list is lists.ubuntu.com, not GMANE or Nabble, however people
> might consume or post to the list.

Thanks for this. I didn't know that this list is allowed to be spread
all over the place even further than the tentacles of the google beast.

> Anything off-topic is off-topic, it's only tolerated so much.  You
> cannot discuss anything Linux as this list is about Ubuntu Linux, not
> Linux in general, that means you cannot expect help for Fedora here.
>>
>> Anyone know when Bedwell took over the role of being this list's moderator
>> and can, therefore, pontificate on what may be written in this list and in
>> what form?
>>
> This is a community. People usually like the community they are in to
> run well. This means that members of the community often step up and
> help to moderate. That might mean reminding people about the "house
> rules" or moving a discussion topic back on topic.
>
> You don't have to be a moderator to do that, just someone who cares
> about the community and wants it to survive and thrive.
>
> Al.

OK, so everyone is a 'moderator' in one form or another. Good to know.
Thanks.

BC

--
Paradise is like Hell and neither is too far from you because both are creations of your mind and therefore both are already inside you.