Some hard disk is reporting health problems. Now what?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 17:11:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:42 AM, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> >I am for the first time seeing this dialog box: "Hard Disk****
>
> >Problems Detected. A hard disk is reporting health problems. "****
>
> ** **
>
> Do you use Gnome or Unity? If so, run the gnome Disk Utility, select the
> drive(s) and click the SMART Data button. It should show the health of the
> drive, and indicate any reallocated sectors, or pending sectors. ****
>

> Old hardware; natty runs gnome. Ah, great little "Disk Utility" utility.
There's one 2 TB SATA drive involved.  I see that there are 1300+ sectors
that have been remapped, and 693 are waiting their turn.   Disk utility
counts these problems as "failing" and "warning" respectively.  This is one
of my few non-green drives, and I'd bet its own heat got to it.  There's
some chance all my data is still good.  We'll see as I try backing up (once
it has cooled down -- right now I could fry stuff on it.)

I can see why trying to create a large tar file on this drive has become
difficult.

Thanks...

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD