Some hard disk is reporting health problems. Now what?

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Wed Jul 6 16:42:40 UTC 2011

>I am for the first time seeing this dialog box: "Hard Disk

>Problems Detected. A hard disk is reporting health problems. "

Do you use Gnome or Unity? If so, run the gnome Disk Utility, select the drive(s) and click the SMART Data button. It should show the health of the drive, and indicate any reallocated sectors, or pending sectors.

If you don’t use a desktop gui, you can use smartctl which is part of smartmontools, to do the same thing from the command line…