[Ping sktsee] Re: Agere WinModem 56k on Thinkpad - Working!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 9 18:17:11 UTC 2011

On 07/09/2011 09:47 AM, sktsee wrote:

> At first glance, it looks to be a script problem with the dial string
> being sent as a response to remote's sign-on prompt, however I'm not
> familiar enough with wvdial or gnome-ppp to assess whether that's the
> case. I've always used pppconfig to setup dial-up networking. It also
> uses pppd and chatscript, but maintains separate dialing profiles from
> that of wvdial or gnome-ppp. However, to begin troubleshooting I would
> start by ruling out whether the modem or modem driver is responsible for
> the auth issue. To do that, install the Minicom terminal communications
> program and set a dialing entry for your ISP. Dial it and see if you can
> establish a terminal session with your ISP remote access server. If it
> connects, you should be to manually enter your username and password
> when prompted causing the remote access server to start a PPP session
> (though just in minicom, pppd won't see it). This will test that the
> modem, its driver, and your username and password are correct, and the
> problem is most likely in the dialing script or in pppd's configuration
> (/etc/ppp/options may need some tweaking).
>
> As I mentioned above, I used pppconfig to setup dial-up networking. It's
> menu driven and uses pon/poff scripts which don't require root
> privileges to start/stop sessions . I'd recommend using it to setup your
> dial-up networking ISP profile and see if that solves the authentication
> issue.

Got it working! Had to run gnome-ppp as root (gksu) and put in stupid
mode (Ignore terminal strings (stupid mode)) & it now connects:

$ gksu gnome-ppp
WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
GNOME PPP: Connecting...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot get information for serial port.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Initializing modem.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATX3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATX3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Modem initialized.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATM1L3DT8899111
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Waiting for carrier.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATM1L3DT8899111
GNOME PPP: STDERR: CONNECT 48000 V42bis
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Starting pppd at Sat Jul  9 10:59:09 2011
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Pid of pppd: 5597
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Using interface ppp0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> local  IP address 12.72.157.168
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> remote IP address 165.238.10.74
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> primary   DNS address 68.94.156.1
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> secondary DNS address 68.94.157.1
GNOME PPP: STDERR: Caught signal 2:  Attempting to exit gracefully...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Terminating on signal 15
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Connect time 0.5 minutes.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Disconnecting at Sat Jul  9 10:59:35 2011

Now I need to sort out why I need to use 'gksu' and then on to figuring
out hylafax or similar so that I can finally get rid of my old fax
machine :-)

Gary