[Ping sktsee] Re: Agere WinModem 56k on Thinkpad - Working!

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 16:47:20 UTC 2011

On 07/08/2011 10:42 PM, NoOp wrote:
[snip]

Hi NoOP

> After all this time I finally got the desktop modem to break dialtone&
> dial. Original thread:
> <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/137305>

Ah yes, I remember the travails with the martian modem well.

> On 10.10 maverick, I did a make install of martian-full-20100123.tar.gz,
> purged martian-modem&  reinstalled martian-modem and:
> $ sudo wvdialconf
> Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.
>
> Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

[snip]

> ttySM0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- LT V.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.30
> ttySM0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
> ttySM0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
> ttySM0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
> ttySM0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
> ttySM0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
> ttySM0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
> ttySM0<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK
> ttySM0<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK
> ttySM0<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
> ttySM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1&D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
>
> Modem dials&  connects gets carrier from the remote modem.

Looks like the martian modem driver is doing its job so far...

> gnome-ppp log indicates it's problem with password (username&  password
> are correct):
>
> ->  WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> -->  Cannot get information for serial port.
> -->  Initializing modem.
> -->  Sending: ATZ
> ATZ
> OK
> -->  Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1&D2 +FCLASS=0
> ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1&D2 +FCLASS=0
> OK
> -->  Modem initialized.
> -->  Please enter password (or empty password to stop):

Hmm, I wonder why its asking for a password before dialing...

> -->  Sending: ATM1L3DT[snip]
> -->  Waiting for carrier.
> ATM1L3DT717-2412
> CONNECT 48000 V42bis
> -->  Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
> -->  Connected, but carrier signal lost!  Retrying...
> -->  Sending: ATM1L3DT[snip]
> -->  Waiting for carrier.
> STATION ID - sjoca07rs08pr004,sfoca44ev
> Welcome
> Please Sign-on:
> ATM1L3DT717-2412

Script appears to send the dial string in response to remote's Sign-on
prompt for some reason.

[snip]

> ATM1L3DT717-2412
> CONNECT 45333 V42bis
> -->  Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
> -->  Starting pppd at Fri Jul  8 20:35:02 2011
> -->  Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
> -->  -->  PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
> -->  Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied
> -->  -->  CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.

Not sure why those secrets files need to be modified during ppp session
setup, though I think wvdial needs to be able to read them. Are you
running wvidial as root?

> -->  Pid of pppd: 4704
> -->  Using interface ppp0
> -->  Disconnecting at Fri Jul  8 20:35:04 2011
> -->  The PPP daemon has died: Authentication error.
> -->  We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer.
> -->  Maybe bad account or password? (exit code = 19)
> -->  man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
> -->  I guess that's it for now, exiting
> -->  The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 19)
>
> Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Gary

At first glance, it looks to be a script problem with the dial string
being sent as a response to remote's sign-on prompt, however I'm not
familiar enough with wvdial or gnome-ppp to assess whether that's the
case. I've always used pppconfig to setup dial-up networking. It also
uses pppd and chatscript, but maintains separate dialing profiles from
that of wvdial or gnome-ppp. However, to begin troubleshooting I would
start by ruling out whether the modem or modem driver is responsible for
the auth issue. To do that, install the Minicom terminal communications
program and set a dialing entry for your ISP. Dial it and see if you can
establish a terminal session with your ISP remote access server. If it
connects, you should be to manually enter your username and password
when prompted causing the remote access server to start a PPP session
(though just in minicom, pppd won't see it). This will test that the
modem, its driver, and your username and password are correct, and the
problem is most likely in the dialing script or in pppd's configuration
(/etc/ppp/options may need some tweaking).

As I mentioned above, I used pppconfig to setup dial-up networking. It's
menu driven and uses pon/poff scripts which don't require root
privileges to start/stop sessions . I'd recommend using it to setup your
dial-up networking ISP profile and see if that solves the authentication
issue.

--
sktsee