Restating/Rephrasing the question - was [Re: A "green" distro of Ubuntu?]

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Mon Jul 4 19:21:47 UTC 2011

> looking for bare bones system (possibly CLI) and then use apt-get (correct
term?) to fetch ONLY desired programs and dependencies

> CD is "bloated" because it automatically wants to install "every thing
including kitchen sink". I understand it can be trimmed later - but's not
elegant.

I have only read a portion of the thread, but a server install can be done
without the gui cruft.  Pure cli. There is still going to be kernel bloat,
but post install, you can hand roll your own, and dump the stock one. If you
want.