RAID + Hard drive sleep

Kenneth Loafman kenneth at loafman.com
Mon Jan 31 20:09:48 UTC 2011

There is a product called 'spindown', https://code.google.com/p/spindown/,
which I've been using for my external drives and it works like a charm.

I don't think you could use it on a raid array of any kind because the array
would detect the change in state of the drive, poll the drive to make sure
it's still OK, and bring it right back up.  The spin down would have to be
part of the raid software / firmware.

...Ken