GNU GPL

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Jan 28 23:38:05 UTC 2011

On 01/28/2011 08:04 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Doug<dmcgarrett at optonline.net>  wrote:
>> /snip/
>>
>>     Gmail is good and free and doesn't crud up your email with "features".
>>     Select text mode in your Gmail setup. It just works.
>>
>>> My boss is tied in with this and I ~loathe~ it.<spits>    You'll never make
>>> it off the ground with that between you and collaborators. They'll go
>>> crazy in short order and disappear. Ali, since you're not on the
>>> receiving end of your email, you don't know.
>> /snip/
>>
>> Several folks have complained on this and other lists, that they don't know
>> if their mail is being received on the list, _because Gmail deletes those
>> messages_ from the "received" mail.
>
> *Sigh*
>
> No, it doesn't. Please do not spread FUD when you clearly don't know
> the exact details of what you're complaining about.
>
> Gmail does not show you messages *from yourself* /until/ someone
> replies to them. That's all. It does not delete anything and your
> outgoing messages are still right there in your Sent folder.
>
> No, I don't like the behaviour, but it doesn't delete anything.

You didn't read what I wrote:  I said that Gmail deletes messages from
  _received,_ i.e., incoming mail.  If it then puts them back if they are
replied to, that doesn't solve any problem, nor does it solve any
problem if they are saved in an "outgoing mail" folder.  What the
OP wants to know is if they _ever got received by the list_ even if
nobody replies to them, and as far as I understand it, Gmail does not
show those messages.  If I misunderstand, I apologise.

--doug