Evaluating my experience with OpenOffice and LibreOffice @ Maverick.

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Jan 27 15:48:44 UTC 2011

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Just out of curiosity: Why do you have 24GB swap space for 1GB RAM size?

That does seem a lot of swap and not much RAM these days. But...

I have my once-fancy notebook maxed out with 1.5GB of RAM, and if I
don't let my collection "I'll finish reading them some day" Firefox tabs
get too far out of line, it is usually plenty. I also have 4GB of swap,
not because I expect to need all of that for daily use, but because I
want to be fairly sure I can hibernate if I do want a heavy dollop of
swap for something. Yes, mostly I just sleep to RAM, but sometimes I
want to power down completely (to change battery, say).

On my computer at work I have 4GB of RAM and not quite double that in
swap...and I had to reboot yesterday because I couldn't hibernate. (I
try to save the planet at night; I can always wake it remotely by
sending a magic packet from another work machine that is running.)
Having well over double ones RAM amount in swap is quite reasonable to
be mostly sure hibernation is possible.

24x? Well, if there is a possibility of adding a lot more RAM in the
future, allocating the swap in advance makes sense. (Um, if so, it might
be time to add that RAM.) 24GB might still be a bit much, but I don't
see any harm beyond it letting you get way over extended and stacking up
clicks and keystrokes and waiting and waiting and then clicking some
more and grinding everything to a halt.

-kb

P.S. Hibernating to encrypted swap is cool.