IPv6 - how do I get ready?

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Wed Jan 26 15:47:04 UTC 2011

On 01/25/2011 05:32 PM, ANDY wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Neil Cherry <ncherry at linuxha.com
> <mailto:ncherry at linuxha.com>> wrote:
>

>     Where you live does the ISP mandate you must use their router? I have
>     my own router and they can't update anything.
>

> No, you can use compatible routers where you would be responsible for your own firmware
> updates.  Like most, this ISP also lets you rent their router and should be responsible
> for updating the firmware.
>
> In my case, I bought the router from them which is branded to their service.  Neither
> their site nor the maker (Actiontec) offer firmware updates yet for IPv6.

Ah, thanks, just wanted to make sure. There are a number of technologies
which will allow IPv6 tunneling (which maybe the interim solution for
some).

With the IPv4 address counter now at 0 it looks like the rush may
soon begin. I'm afraid we will be living in 'interesting times'
until we can get the majority on dual stack (IPv6/IPv4).

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com