still looking for decent PDF annotation tool

Mike Kupfer m.kupfer at acm.org
Wed Jan 26 05:40:49 UTC 2011

Patton Echols wrote:

> On 01/21/2011 01:47 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > The problem is that Okular does not support "PDF Annotations". The
> > annotations that Okular provide are in it's own unique format (in a
> > sidecar file), incompatible with "PDF Annotations" even though it
> > shares the same name. When the OP sends a PDF that was annotated with
> > Okular, the recipient will not see the annotations. Even if he is also
> > using Okular.
> > "
> > I recommend Xournal to the OP.

I believe Xournal is actually worse than Okular in this regard.  Suppose
in Xournal I click on File>Annotate PDF and select a PDF file.  If I
then click on File>Save, Xournal does not update the PDF.  Rather, it
saves a .xoj file that apparently has embedded a reference to the
original PDF.  So if you want to send the annotated PDF to someone, you
need to send both the original PDF and the .xoj file.  (This is using
whichever version of Xournal that is bundled with Lucid.)

I annotate my online subscriptions using Xournal.  If I want to move an
issue to another folder, or put it on a thumb drive to read on the
train, I have to remember to move both files.  It's manageable, but a
bit of a nuisance.

With Okular, you use File>Export As>Document Archive to get a single
(zip) file that contains both the original PDF and the annotation data.

> does Okular convert a pdf to images like xournal and th OO plugin?  Or
> does it retain the text characteristics of a document.  If the latter,
> it remains a potentially searchable document.

The original PDF remains searchable.  I wasn't able to get the text
search to find my test annotation, though.

mike