still looking for decent PDF annotation tool

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Tue Jan 25 06:33:13 UTC 2011

On 01/21/2011 01:47 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:58, Bas Roufs<basroufs at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The PDF reader "Okular" contains a seemingly smart functionality for
>> this purpose. It is the same package which is being pointed at the
>> page you have found yourself:
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/1529/how-can-i-highlight-pdf
>>
>> To annotate, etc.:open the PDF document in Okular
>> tools>  review or F6.
>> You can make text annotations "inline" or next to the text.
>> Additionally, you can make yellow highlights, straight yellow lines,
>> polygons, put stamp symbols, underline the text with a black line and
>> make cyan ellipses.
>> Okular is a typical KDE/Kubuntu package. However, it is also possible
>> to install it from the repository in any other *Ubuntu distribution.
>> Respectfully yours,
>>
> The problem is that Okular does not support "PDF Annotations". The
> annotations that Okular provide are in it's own unique format (in a
> sidecar file), incompatible with "PDF Annotations" even though it
> shares the same name. When the OP sends a PDF that was annotated with
> Okular, the recipient will not see the annotations. Even if he is also
> using Okular.
> "
> I recommend Xournal to the OP.

Late to the thread I know, but does Okular convert a pdf to images like
xournal and th OO plugin?  Or does it retain the text characteristics of
a document.  If the latter, it remains a potentially searchable
document.  The trick would be to figure out how to export with the
annotations.  Maybe printing to PDF.  Anyone have experience with how it
works?