Mounting ISO

A. Jorge Garcia calcpage at aol.com
Sun Jan 23 16:03:49 UTC 2011

> Well, I'm not so sure what that binary is - for local install or for
the
> server. Maybe you have a look yourself. Select your appropriate
mirror
> at <http://www.sagemath.org/download-linux.html> and then follow the
> link for 64 bit. There is a file "sage-4.6.1-linux-64bit-
> ubuntu_10.04.1_lts-x86_64-Linux.tar.lzma" of 414 MB. From the
> instruction at <http://www.sagemath.org/doc/installation/binary.html>
it
> looks like it is not a package to install but you untar it e.g. in
> /usr/local.

OK, my main goal right now is to provide an easy and quick way for my
students to start and use a SAGE environment.  I've used the SAGE live
Linux CD before, so I though that would be the way to go.  I do not
have the hardware to set up a dedicated server at the moment, so that's
out.  Also, compiling SAGE from source is a huge undertaking as its
based on tons of FREE (key word) math related linux apps that makes a
system like MATLAB or Mathematica which is NOT free.

So, I may try the binary first and just make it an an icon on the
student's desktops.  If the 10.04.1 SAGE binary for Ubuntu works that
way, that's probably the easiest was to do this.  I will try that on
Monday and see how is goes. However, I really want to avoid compiling
 from source right now and I've heard horror stories about the binaries
on other distros that were not compiled from source too!

The only problem with this approach is, as we are not using an actual
SAGE server, that the students will not have SAGE accounts to save
their work.  So, they can save their worksheets (SAGE uses the
worksheet paradigm like Mathematica) as *.sws files.  Then I'll have
them copy these files to a passwd protected sftp account I will make
for them on my Linux server which has openssh and vsftp.

BTW, is it a problem that SAGE was compiled on 10.04.1 and I have 10.04
Desktops?

Thanx for all the ideas,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci