Mounting ISO

A. Jorge Garcia calcpage at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 20:27:20 UTC 2011

>>Calcpage wrote:
>> Anyway, I have an ISO of a live Linux CD I'd like my students to use,
>> but I really don't want my students to have boot it up eveyday b4
>> class and I really don't want to burn 50 copies. So, can I make a
>> partition on my hdds, which r already dual-boot boxes, and put the
>> ISO in there so I can then have a 3rd boot option in grub?

>If you want to use a new partition, wouldn't it be the same as
>installing the system from that live CD? Well, maybe you aren't
talking
>about Ubuntu but about something like Knoppix which isn't meant to be
>installed. Then I would use Virtualbox and create a virtual machine
>which has no harddisk image but is only connected to the ISO file.
Then
>you could copy that virtual machine to all of the boxes. Like Goh Lip
>wrote already, you don't need an extra partition for this option but
you
>wouldn't have an entry in your grub menu.

Oh, OK, VB sounds like an option.  I tried virtualization years ago and
found it a big memory hog.  So, I don't usually go that route.  Maybe
I'll try that now.  How much RAM do we need for that?  When I boot a
liveCD it decompresses the ISO and copies it into RAM, so I'll need
plenty of RAM if I have to run VB too.  This ISO isn't too big, maybe
500MB, but my student's stations only have 750MB RAM....

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com