Mounting ISO

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jan 22 16:54:38 UTC 2011

Calcpage wrote:
> Anyway, I have an ISO of a live Linux CD I'd like my students to use,
> but I really don't want my students to have boot it up eveyday b4
> class and I really don't want to burn 50 copies. So, can I make a
> partition on my hdds, which r already dual-boot boxes, and put the
> ISO in there so I can then have a 3rd boot option in grub?

If you want to use a new partition, wouldn't it be the same as
installing the system from that live CD? Well, maybe you aren't talking
about Ubuntu but about something like Knoppix which isn't meant to be
installed. Then I would use Virtualbox and create a virtual machine
which has no harddisk image but is only connected to the ISO file. Then
you could copy that virtual machine to all of the boxes. Like Goh Lip
wrote already, you don't need an extra partition for this option but you
wouldn't have an entry in your grub menu.

Nils