Question about performance copying files on Ubuntu 10.10

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 19:27:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Daniel Nascimento <filhodan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks.
> First of all I'll introduce myself. My name is Daniel and I'm from Brazil
> (so sorry my poor English :D ). I've been using Linux on my day-by-day in
> the last 2 years. I'm not an advanced user, but not a simple user either :D
> My first question on this list is: I recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 at my
> workstation (Dell Latitude E4310, Core i5 and 3GB Ram) and the system is
> running smoothly as expected, but I've noticed that the system has some
> performance problems when copying a huge amount of files.
> In my case I was copying 32GB from Windows partition (NTFS) to Ubuntu
> Partition (ext4) and I could notice the system taking so much longer to
> answer or even open applications (as Firefox/Chrome for example). I've made
> the same test into Windows and had no trouble during the proccess.
> Of course I don't want to start a fight between users comparing performance
> of Windows and Ubuntu during copy of files, I just want to know if does it
> happen with someone else?

Daniel,

I don't have the answer, but this article (for instance) suggests the
opposite, even for a legacy Ubuntu release.

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/benchmarked-ubuntu-vs-vista-vs-windows-7

Are you sure all the cores are running at full speed? (Right click the
top panel and add "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitoring" - ou como quer
que isso se chame em português - one for each core). Do you have a
reasonable amount of free space in your partitions or you packed all
the Linux stuff in a tight space right at the end of the HD? Perhaps
the journaling process on a NTFS to ext4 copy is taking its toll
compared to a NTFS to NTFS copy. Are you copying or moving (copy and
delete) files?

Since I don't have any real Windows installed any more, I cannot test
this on my stations, perhaps someone else can.

Abraço,

Lucio

P.S.: Never say sorry, (at least, not in advance).

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/