a confusion regarding package updates

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 15:09:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Alan Pope <popey at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 19 January 2011 14:21, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmmm, I remember a long time back some faulty way of upgrade by me
>> had changed the sources.list file.
>
> Yes. That happens a lot.
>
>> That time I had not touched manually the sources.list file so is this
>> same case when you
>> do a apt-get dist-upgrade (i.e. the script changes the sources.list
>> when a new release is available)
>> or it will ask the user to proceed or not to and then upgrade only new
>> packages (and not the OS itself).
>>

> I don't fully understand.
I had observed the process of an OS changing from one version to another.
i.e.10.04 to 10.10 ( I do not remember the command right now)
but what I saw was sources.list.old or with some similar name was
created (which I correctly remember I had not done)
and then the upgrade from old version to new version went on.

So this confusion came to my mind if apt-get dist-upgrade can also
change the sources.list
Which you clarified in the next line.
>But "apt-get dist-upgrade" will _not_ change
> your sources.list at all.
This is what I wanted to confirm.
Thanks for clarifying it.