connecting to a server

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Fri Jan 14 07:18:22 UTC 2011

On 01/12/2011 10:47 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:
> On 01/12/2011 01:19 PM, Boggess Rod wrote:
>>> I tend to use either rsync or scp, if you can ssh from one computer to
>>> the other then both rsync and scp 'just work'.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Green
>>>

>> There's a Linux version of Filezilla available. I'd give that a try. You
>> never did say what OS the server is running. It does make details easier
>> to provide when explaining how to get this to work. After all, there's a
>> world of difference between executing appwiz.cpl and the equivalent
>> apt-get function.
>>
> The server is running Ubuntu 10.10 - 64 bit  -  Desktop version.  I am
> running as a samba server.  I assume that some other software must be
> installed to act as a FTP server or as a ssh server.  If so, what must
> be done on the server side?
>
> Bill Stanley

Were you ever able to transfer your file?  To answer this question, I
would suggest that ssh over installing an ftp server.  To me the
configuration is easier.  It is also useful to administer your server
remotely so you'll get more use out of it.  You can get instructions in
the ubuntu server guide.  Here is the ssh page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/serverguide/C/openssh-server.html

Then transfer the file with rsync something like:
rsync -az -e ssh server:/dir/file-name /dest/

See man rsync for what the switches do and for other options.