connecting to a server

Mister IT Guru misteritguru at gmx.com
Thu Jan 13 12:36:35 UTC 2011

On 12/01/2011 16:50, Bill Stanley wrote:
> This is getting tedious...
>
> Is there any way to get a BIG (4.5 GB) file from my server to the
> laptop.  I am having problems on the laptop  with connecting to the
> server where the BIG file is located.  I have other computers on the
> network that can access the file but not the lapto
If this is a windows based server, I too always have problems when
trying to use SMB for large file transfers. I do find that if I 'push'
the file ..( go to the source, and then connect with where I want the
file, and send it) It gets me out of problems. I also use SFTP by using
a client on the server called Tunnlier - It does SSH from windows
clients - v. nice for local based file transfers.

> The other computers on the network accessing this server so the
> problem is in the laptop.  I ran apt-get install smbfs to try to
> connect the other was and use the laptop as a server and thus having
> the server SEND the file.  Still no luck.   The laptop has a new
> install of 10.10 and smbfs is the only change I have made from a fresh
> install.
As noted earlier, SMB is not the greatest protocol (my opinion) for
large data transfers, I somehow, still always have problems, or issues,
so I have adopted, the 'push' approach. Hope that helps Bill

--
The Solo System Admin - Follow me - I follow you
http://solosysad.blogspot.com/